New Bedford

New Bedford

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Boom!

August 19th: 8am wakeup. Rolled around in bed. Up at 9am. Kimber slept in. We decided after watching television that we wanted something other than cereal for breakfast. We hit up Da Choppa for some breakfast items. Grapes, half a dozen bagels (each), and avocados (for this week). Chose 6 different bagels: French toast, blueberry, cinnamon raisin, honey and wheat, everything, and cinnamon sugar.

Back to the apartment to eat breakfast. I went with the cinnamon sugar toasted and some real butter. Still ate a bowl of cinnamon harvest after the bagel. Hydrated with Gatorade. Watched some television and snuggled up on the couch with Kimber.

Kimber headed out around 4pm. I mapped out a 17+ mile loop for my long run. Changed up into long run clothes (new Brooks shorts with two outside velcro pockets and one inside key pocket, cushiony Balgea socks, Kinvara 2s, and a Nike featherlight cap). One pocket for the directions. One pocket for an emergency gel (Clif Bar Raspberry). Inside pocket for the apartment keys. Foam rolled and a set of jumping jacks to head out for 2 hours. Cruised right through the run and explored some new roads to mix it up. I had some distance to kill. I got semi-lost in the last 4 miles, but no worries. Made it back. Remapped the run and it turned out to be 18 miles (with the slight detour towards the end) in 1:56:38. 6:28 pace. Sweet. Solid run and scenic roads. You gotta search for them here in Clifton Park. I did see a bunny (wild) and a couple horses (on a farm of course).

Back to stretch, foam roll, shower and hydrate like crazy. I was cursed with cottonmouth for the last 5 miles on ro so. In one of the neighborhoods, there was a sprinkler that I stopped at to soak my hat to cool off. Helped, but the mouth was still dry. I told myself to not take the Clif Shot Gel to force my body to utilize the energy storages I already had. Worked out well.

Rice, beans, cheese, onions, salsa, and seasonings for dinner. A Long Trail Ale to reward myself with a quality week of mileage. 97 miles on the week with a solid tempo effort at a 5k, a rocking track workout, and a honest long run. Most mileage in a week for me so far in my life and looking forward to more of them. Down week of 90+ next week and Alumni in Keene in 2 weeks. Get pumped!

No comments:

Post a Comment