New Bedford

New Bedford

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day Mile in Glens Falls

May 28th: Woke up a couple times before the alarm went off at 7:10am. Once it was time to get up, I didn't feel like it. Goupil knocked on my door at 7:35am. Out of bed to change up for the race and eat a bowl of Frosted Flakes in front of the television. Out the door right after 8am.

At the race venue by 8:45am with a 9:40am start. More than enough time. Picked up our numbers and shirts at The Bullpen Tavern. Warmup at 9am. 2.5+ (20:10). I was trying to find a bathroom the whole time until we got back on Glen Street (where the race starts) and popped into Stewart's to use their bathroom. Other people had the same idea, but not too long of a line. A mom and her two boys all had to go to bathroom before me (at the same time). Deep breathes and trying not to think about it. Made it in there and emptied myself out. I don't know what I would of done if I couldn't find a bathroom before the race. There were no port-o-john's and I wasn't gonna be abe to hold it for a hard mile. Back to change into my Katana Racer's and jersey. I rocked my orange Adidas half tights for the warmup and race to keep my IT bands, quads and hamstrings intact from the beating they took at the mountain race.

I was confused on why so many people were lining up for this lowkey 1 mile race. I then realized the huge banner stating that the Memorial Day Parade starts at 10am. Ohhhhhhhh! I get it now. They aren't hear to watch a bunch of crazy people sprint down the road. Some strides and stretching at the starting line. Ready for a mile at the beginning of the summer as I will ever be especially after a mountain race.

9:40am start. Out in classic fashion. Probably opened up in a 30 second 200. Settled in. Let Justin Wood and Chuck Terry take the lead. Let them get too much distance on me and some high schooler got in front of me. Justin Wood has 4:11 speed and just recently ran 3:57 in the 1500 so I wasn't expecting to beat him on this day at this distance. We came through the first mark. 2:12 through the 1/2 mile. Not bad. Continued to race and cruised past the high schooler at about 3/4 of a mile. 3:18. Chuck and Justin were too far ahead. Held onto 3rd for a 4:28 mile. It took me a 1/2 mile to get into a groove and didn't close hard. I can't complain. Jogged back to the start after changing into trainers. 3.5 mile (25:xx) cooldown with Goupil. Ending at the start, we heard that top 3 got some gear. We (Goupil, Justin and I) jogged back down through the parade and hurdling bushes/brick walls (Goupil avoided this) to the finish and grabbed our gear. The race director said 1-2 seconds was added to everyone's time. So I think I might of run 4:27, but I'll take 4:28. Goal was sub 4:30 and I easily did that. Somehow.

Panera and 16 Handles (Frozen Yogurt) in Clifton Park with some team members and coach. Smokehouse Turkey 3 cheese panini with a cinnamon roll for pre-dessert. At 16 Handles, I went with all the fruity flavors (Pomengranete Raspberry, Blackberry, Banana and some others) with kiwi and raspberries.

Back to the apartment by 1:45pm. Napped from 2-5:20pm in fashion. Sprawled out on the couch with my head on the arm cushion and curled up in the fetal position. Ended up waking up with my head on the seat cushion and my feet on the back cushion draped over the top of the couch. Goupil was getting a little annoyed when I started invading his side of the couch. I couldn't help it. I was exhausted from the weekend.

Shakeout 4 miles (30:07) with Goupil at 6:15pm. 12 miles on the day with one quicker mile. Back to foam roll like crazy and ice the hamstrings. No appetite from the heat so I finally ate an everything bagel with veggie at 9:30pm. Bed by 10:30pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment