New Bedford

New Bedford

Monday, June 11, 2012

A Weekend Away With The Girlfiend

June 8th: Normal routine for a Friday. Work 6am-2:30pm. Nothing special. Back to the apartment to clean up and pack up for the weekend with Kimber. Redeeming my marathon winnings from the Smuttynose Rockfest Marathon back in October 2011. One night stay in the jacuzzi suite at the Royal Crest Motor Inn in Hampton Beach, NH. Headed out of Clifton Park around 4:30ish to make my way to Jaffrey, NH. Cruised on over the mountains through Vermont. Made myself a 3 scoop protein shake (I usually do 2 scoops) for the ride. Arrived at Kimber's around 7:15pm, hungry. Kimber surprised me with stir fry for dinner. Mmm. Sugar snap peas, shredded carrots, onions, mushrooms, red and green peppers and beef marinated in tereyaki sauce. All over brown rice. Hit the spot and saved some for the end of the weekend when I don't feel like preparing anything. Cleaned up half the dishes and relaxed on the couch. Bed somewhat early with a travel day up to Hampton Beach, NH.

June 9th: 8am wakeup. Rolled around in bed. Up eventually to get ready for a run. Kimber ate breakfast. I ate the other half of her banana for a snack and some chocolate chips for a sugar boost. Mapped out a loop I've been wanting to do by Kimber's apartmment. Turned out to be 7.5 miles and I had plans to add on another 2 or so after. All set to go at 9:45am.

Out the door running. Calves didn't feel terrible, but still sore in the soleus. Very scenic run around Gilmore Pond. Making my way through my planned route and onto Route 202 for a short period to quickly pop onto the rail trail back towards Kimber's apartment. No dice. Couldn't find the road/trail that connected. The map said a straight shot. I continued down 202 to try to discover it and was having no luck. I eventually turned back towards the road I turned off of to reach 202, but I decided to explore this trail that I thought might lead me to a solution. It ended up being a decent trail, but not the one I wanted. It started to get soggier as I got closer to the water. I had to turn back, but the trail system was leading my nowhere fast. I began to panic a small amount at this point. I told Kimber I would be back at 11ish and it was about 10:45am. I somehow found 202 again and trudged my way back towards Jaffrey (I was on the townline of Rindge and Jaffrey. It was 11:02am at this point so I stopped off at the Monadnock Boat House to make a phone call to Kimber stating to pick my up along 202. I knew her cell phone number, but both times it did not work. Well it connected, but to a voicemail of a Carey. Hmm. So I continued back on 202 and explored to try to find the trail to the rail trail. To my luck, I found it pretty easily. My only debate was that I told Kimber I would be back by 11am. It was 11:20am now. Is she looking for me? Should I stay? Should I run back and find that she is driving around the route I ran? Maybe she doesn't have her cellphone and I can't call her to tell her I am alive and back at her apartment. I decided on sprinting back. About 5:20 pace (1/4 mile marks on rail trail) for the last mile or so of the run. I checked the back of the apartment and found Kimber's car still parked there. Trotted up the stairs with the apartment door wide open. Kimber was just finishing up getting dressed. She didn't have much concern that I wasn't back by 11am. It was 11:30am and she hadn't been paying attention to the time. Awesome (kidding). Oh well, I made it back safely. 12 miles (84+).

Sticked the legs. Showered up. Kimber drove the first half of the car ride to Manchester for a lunch break at 2pm. Chiptotle chicken sandwich with a Greek salad (without the olives). 1/2 and 1/2 deal. I finished up the drive to Hampton Beach. We checked in and headed down to the beach for some sun. Walked along the shore and snapped some pictures of seagulls. Back to our jacuzzi suite to change up for dinner in Portsmouth. I thought the Smuttynose Brewing Company was a restaurant as well. It wasn't. So no dice on using the 50 dollar gift certificate. We headed to Portsmouth anyways and searched around for a restaurant for dinner. Took us a while to find a parking spot, but we eventually found one. We settled on the Gas Light Company (downstairs section) for pizza. We each ordered a small pizza since we have different ideas of a good pizza. I went with mushrooms, carmelized onions and ricotta. A Long Trail Brown Ale. A couple next to us just got married and were from Jaffrey. Crazy. Walked around Portsmouth to digest and grabbed ice cream at a corner place. 2 scoops of Cake Batter on a sugar cone. Mmm. A bunch of bachelorette parties roaming around the streets. Annoying people as we were walking back to the car. Back to the apartment to relax and head to bed at a decent hour.

June 10th: 8am wakeup. Laid in the queen size bed for a while. Lindt chocolate balls (complimentary with the room) for a breakfast appetizer. Packed up the room, checked out and headed over to Hampton for breakfast. Tried finding the Hampton Eatery, but it was no where to be seen. Turned around and drove down the road to try to find something else. A bistro place advertising brunch was the best we found. Parked, kinda hestitated on the place (thought it would be too fancy) and looked to our left. Surprise, surprise. Same parking lot, we found The Kitchen at Depot Square. Small little quant place, but packed. That's always a positive. Seated ourselves in a booth. French Toast Special. 2 pieces of French toast, 2 eggs overeasy, 2 sausage links, and homefries. Plus 2 pancakes. Devoured it all. Ate the last quarter of Kimber's spinach, tomato, and ham omelette with American cheese. Mmmm. Stopped off at Rite Aid to pick up a frisbee, sun block and water.

We forgot our pizza in the fridge so we stopped off at the Royal Crest. Picked up the key at the office and swung by the room. The cleaning people were already in there. Checked the fridge and nothing inside. Snooped outside the room and there in the recycling bin, two boxes of leftover pizza. My box was sorta flimsy and semi-opened up in the bin. The pizza wasn't falling out completely. So I just grabbed both boxes and we were on our way to the beach. Just didn't think about it. Parked and throw our stuff in a tote bag. Beach for a couple hours. Laid out for most of it (obviously appplied sunblock) and in the water for maybe 30 minutes of it. Super cold. Played frisbee. Dried off in the sun (since we didn't have towels). Back to the car to grab our pizza and eat it on the bench looking out over the ocean. So romantic. Ate my recycling bin pizza and loved every bite of it. Ate one of Kimber's slices.

Headed out around 3pm to make it back to Jaffrey by 5pm. Slept most of the way. Helped Kimber clean up her apartment and relax on the couch for a bit. Leftover stir-fry from Friday night. Out the door to head back to NY by 7:30pm. Stopped at the Big Deal for gas and "dinner." A redbull and a Milkway. Kept me awake the whole time. At one point, I thought it was snowing because of the amount of bugs that were getting smeared on the windshield. Back in Clifton Park by 10ish. Bed by 11pm. A wonderful weekend with a wonderful girl :)

No comments:

Post a Comment