New Bedford

New Bedford

Monday, April 8, 2013

Not Ideal Weather

April 5th: 6:30am wakeup. Bathroom and putted around before heading out for a run. 3 miles (NT) with my dad at 7:45am. Jogged around the perimeter of the Everglades. Bowl of Cherrios for breakfast. Some thunderstorms to roll through in the morning and through the afternoon.

This isn't the route of the run, but this is the length of the center of Everglade City to the town of Chokoloskee (~4 miles). The only two towns I can run in. The perimeter of Everglades (top) is 3 miles. Running more than 10 miles is a tough task to accomplish. Splitting up runs helps.

We stopped by the shooting range and made the executive decision to head up to Naples for lunch with my Grandma. Ham, cheese and tomato paninis. Ice cream for dessert with dark chocolate syrup. Once finished, we hit up Publix (the local grocery store in Florida) for food for the weekend.

 Traveling in the backseat of the car.

Back to the Captain's Table (hotel we are staying at for the long weekend) to relax and nap for a couple hours. Woke up and changed up for a run. 30, 60, 90 workout. 8+ mile loop (51:31). 4 sets of 30, 60, 90 (30 seconds hard, 30 seconds easy, 60 seconds hard, and so on). Covered 4.25 miles in the 24 minutes. 5:46 pace for the workout. 6:15 pace overall. Thunderstorms had passed through and I was able to workout in the clear.

The only bad part of the run was the dang chihuahua from a few years back still inhabiting Everglade City. I think the problem with the small dogs are that they are relentless. They won't give up. It was ready for revenge from allowing me to bolt to freedom our last encounter (last time I had to hide away on a second story staircase completely out of breath). It came ripping out of its yard ready to shred me to bits again and it brought a friend (similar size). I was on my rest interval for the workout, but threw in a solid 20 second sprint for my life (wasn't in the original plan for the workout). I was able to escape and continue my run safely. I looked back and it had a stance like "Yeah, you better keep running vato! Don't be stepping foot in my neighborhood again!" I made sure to skip that part of the loop the next time around (and the rest of the weekend).

Back to stretch and shower. Fried fish (freshly caught that day), rice, and broccoli for dinner. Iced the legs and bed by 10:30pm.

11+ miles on the day and a fun day overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment