New Bedford

New Bedford

Monday, February 18, 2013

One Last Shot (USATF NE Championships)

February 15th: 6:30am wakeup. Cereal for breakfast. Work 7:30pm-4pm. Easy day at work and fairly productive. Pasta with veggies, Oreos, and finished off my tub of yogurt. Home to relax for a bit before heading out for a run. 7++ miles (49:48) at 6:50pm. Back to stretch, foam roll and shower.

I backed up my iPhone before bringing it to the Apple Store. I had an appointment at 8:30pm. Arrived a little late, but they fit me in. I explained my issue (wifi was greyed out). The guy at the genius bar noted that there was some green corrosion in the charger port. Aight, new phone had to be bought. I wasn't able to activate it with *228 or with the help of Verizon Wireless support over the phone (called from my iPad through Skype). Shut off the phone for the night and bed by 11pm.

February 16th: Slept in like a champ until 10am. Bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats for dinner. Chilled and my phone was activated when I turned it back on. Unfortunately, the data was not activated. Figured that out and on my way to Mass by 3pm. I had to make another phone call to Verizon to activate my data again once I arrived in Leominster. Kimber came down from NH for dinner. German dinner made by Sarah. Watched the movie Flight with Denzel Washington. Wicked good movie. Bed by 11:30pm. Day off from running.

Google homepage the other day.

February 17th: 7:45am wakeup. Updated my blog while eating oatmeal. Changed up and headed over to Harvard University for the New England Indoor Track Championships for the 1 mile at 9:15am. Snowy conditions slowed me down, but arrived by 10:30am.

Grabbed my bib number and checked into my event in the corner. 2.5 mile warmup on my own at 11ish. Ran within the stadium next door. Some stairs and sheltered from the elements for the most part. Back to grab my spikes and head down to the infield for stretching and strides. I had more than enough time. I was the 1st heat with my seed of 4:18 (goal time of sub 4:20). Lots of fast guys in the heat (Dave Chorney and Brian Harvey from BAA).

Lined up on the waterfall and solid off the line. Splits of what I remember: 32, 64, 2:08-2:09. The next three laps were 32.xx for 1:39 and 3:49 heading into the last lap. I attempted to switch gears and it actually was counterproductive. Crossed the line in 4:23.92. Oh well, I fell short of my ultimate goal to break 4:20 in the mile this indoor season. The last month has been not as consistent as I wanted it to be, but it's all good. Onto the roads and mountains with some raw speed under my belt.

A long cooldown with Brandon Newbould and a couple of his athletes from Phillips Exeter through the wind tunnels and the snowy sidewalks. I had 50+ minutes after we were all said and done (including the jog to Dunkin Donuts down the road). I would put it at 5+ miles because we were going slow and I think I didn't stop my watch at some point. 9 miles on the day and 44 miles on the week with 2 days off.

Back to Leominster for dinner at Bob's dad's house. Pasta with homemade meatballs and sauce. Sarah baked homemade bread that was transformed into garlic bread. Everything was so good and I had two full servings. A piece of cake that Bob's sister Kim baked. Back to the house to make a fruit smoothie and watch Here Comes The Boom (5th time). Packed up my car and bed by 11pm.

Tucker cleaning off her bone (dropped it in the dish when she wanted a drink a water).

No comments:

Post a Comment